What I’ve finished reading this week. Scroll to the bottom of the list to read about the motiviation behind this page.
Two other things.
(1) Coming soon: links to info about the poets, and possibly to places you can buy the book.
(2) I am gradually writing short impressions of at least some of the books I’ve finished. Hot takes, really. Move fast and review things. The author’s name, if it’s a hyperlink, will take you to the mini-review.
21/ Week of 13 May
- Limón, Bright Dead Things (Milkweed Editions, 2015)
- Stein, Terrible Blooms (Copper Canyon, 2018)
20/ Week of 6 May
- Whitman, Leaves of Grass (1855 Edition) (Penguin Classics, 1986)
- Padgett, Big Cabin (Coffee House, 2019)
- Boss, Closer than Home (self-published, 1993)
19/ Week of 29 April
- Logue, War Music (FSG, 2015)
14–18/ Finished in April
- Johnson, ARK (Flood, 2013)
- Matthias, Collected Longer Poems (Shearsman, 2012)
- Harrison, Dead Man’s Float (Copper Canyon, 2016)
- Prynne, The White Stones (NYRB, 2016)
- Wahmanholm, Night Vision (New Michigan Press, 2017)
- Wahmanholm, Wilder (Milkweed Editions, 2018)
(Update on “Finished” for April.)
13/ Week of 25 Mar
- Ammons, Selected Poems (Library of America, 2006)
- Le Guin, So Far So Good: Final Poems 2014–2018 (Copper Canyon, 2018)
12/ Week of 18 Mar
- Nezhukumatathil, Oceanic (Copper Canyon, 2018)
- Tonks, Bedouin of the London Evening (Bloodaxe, 2014)
11/ Week of 11 Mar
Nothing. Here’s why.
10/ Week of 4 Mar
- Smith, Life on Mars (Graywolf, 2011)
- Williams, The Vigil (FSG, 1997)
9/ Week of 25 Feb
The third week in a row with only one completed book.
- Rekdal, Imaginary Vessels (Copper Canyon, 2016)
8/ Week of 18 Feb
- Basho (Corman, trns), Backroads to Far Towns (White Pine, 2004)
7/ Week of 11 Feb
- Taggart, Is Music (Copper Canyon, 2010)
6/ Week of 4 Feb
- Merwin, The Lice (Copper Canyon, 2017)
- Hollo, Guests of Space (Coffee House, 2007)
5/ Week of 28 Jan
- Kinnell, Three Books (Mariner, 2002)
- Stӑnescu (Cotter, trns), Wheel with a Single Spoke (Archipelago, 2012)
- Tranströmer (Fulton, trns), The Great Enigma, New Collected Poems (New Directions, 2006)
4/ Week of 21 Jan
- Mullen, Recyclopedia (Graywolf, 2006)
- Gregg, In the Middle Distance (Graywolf, 2006)
3/ Week of 14 Jan
- Celan (Joris, trns), Breathturn (Green Integer, 2006)
- Giscombe, Prairie Style (Dalkey, 2008)
- Rimbaud (Ashbery, trns), Illuminations (Norton, 2011)
2/ Week of 7 Jan
- Levis, The Widening Spell of the Leaves (Pittsburgh, 1991)
- Belieu, Slant Six (Copper Canyon, 2014)
- Caws (ed), Pierre Reverdy (NYRB, 2013)
1/ Week of 31 Dec
- Babstock, Days Into Flatspin (House of Anansi, 2001)
- Le Guin, Wild Angels (Copper Canyon, 1975/2018)
- Kaufman, From One Life to Another (Pittsburgh, 1979)
Too Many Books…
At the end of 2018, I realized my pile of poetry to be read had gotten out of control. Many were books I’d begun but not yet finished, or browsed through but to which I felt I had never given a full and close reading. But quite a few others were books I had not yet so much as started.
So I have resolved that I will complete two books of poetry each week in 2019 until I have reduced my poetry TBR stack to my satisfaction.
I say “complete” rather than “read” since there is a sizeable population of very large volumes that I haven’t started and which I know I could never begin and finish in a single week. So in order to complete two books, I’ll probably need to be juggling more like three or four books at a time. So be it.
To hold myself accountable, this page is the ongoing log of poetry books I’ve finished in 2019. I plan to update this each Sunday.