About this Space
This is an old-school blog and commonplace book. You’ll also find:
- miscellaneous posts dredged from several old and otherwise mothballed blogs dating from the mid aughts, collected here at my own domain and under my own name;
- occasional dispatches regarding what books I’ve finished recently;
- and, beginning in October 2020, a new series of poems that originally appeared on a poetry blog a long time ago, when I was someone else.
I’m also part of the Poetry Blogging Network, which means I try to chunter on about poetry with some regularity.
“A Foolish Consistency” is, of course, a reference to a passage by Emerson, which is just a little ironic, since I’ve always been much more of a Thoreau guy. (Emerson has always struck me as sort of the Salinger — or Vonnegut, or Hesse, u.s.w. — of the Transcendentalists: read him when you’re a teenager and he’ll blow your mind; read him in middle age and meh. I read Emerson in middle age, so draw your own conclusions. Still, that hobgoblins quote is fun, innit.)
AFC is powered by the delightful Blot, which is just a collection of folders and files in your Dropbox account (or Github, if that’s your bag). So you can manage your blog simply by using any text editor of your choosing. In my case, that’s Byword on my Mac and 1Writer on my iOS devices.
Email me, if you are so moved, at hello at letterspace.org.
About this Blogger
I suppose you want all that David Copperfield crap, too? See my About page for too many unnecessary details.
About the Tags
Here’s a running list of the tags at AFC, in no particular order, and with only the loosest organization. Not every post is tagged (yet), but if it has a tag, it’s probably one of these:
- poem, cutup, hay(na)ku, writing, journal, N+7, thinking outloud, poetry, rant, reviews, tranche
- art, commonplace, history, internet, politics, process, software, teaching, travel
- readings, finished, Jung, Proust, Pynchon, Chumps, Russell Hoban & SA4QE, Spinoza
- TV, West Wing, Wonderfalls
- Field Notes, 9/11, OTD, meta
- MN, NJ, NM, NYC